Boat and website under construction

I purchased the boat in the late summer of 2015. But being so late in the sailing season and from work commitments I could only sail the boat to Hamilton from Picton from where she was purchased. The sail was difficult because of very bad weather and complicated by fuel that was grossly contaminated by sludge.

Through the exuberant boat motion the years of quietly settled bio-contaminants were blendered into what was surely now the pea soup thickened diesel fuel. All was good while sailing as the confused seas agitated fuel and kept the offending contamination in suspension but almost as soon as the boat entered the shelter of a Marina the precipitate would clog the fuel intake line choking the engine of its life’s blood. Consequently the engine would quickly sputter to a stop leaving the boat to drift quickly under high winds towards all too close docks or brake walls. Fortunately being so late in the season there were very few other boats to be found or to collide with. The only means to keep from hitting something was to drop the anchor and try to hold the boat where she was. 

boat profile bluffers
Departing Bluffers Park Marina

Quickly, as I was unsure how long the anchor would hold with such short scope, I would clear the sediment from the fuel line, and get the engine running for another few seconds to make some headway towards a dock. Sometimes this anchor, clear lines, running the engine routine would be repeated 3 or 4 times before a barely controlled docking could occur and relief for the days trials be found.

The weather was quite sever for Lake Ontario. The night before I was sailing towards Scarborough to make Bluffer’s Park Marina for the night the winds had managed to blow one of the Bluffer’s docks, laden with boats off it’s moorings and towards other docks. If it wasn’t for the quick thinking of  a power boat, who’s skipper was aboard, many boats would have sustained a great deal of damage. This skipper fired up his boat while tied to the now drifting dock and managed to keep his boat and the dock full of boats off the rest of the docks until help could tie off the free floating dock somewhere away from others.

After 4 days sailing I finally entered Harbour West Marina in Hamilton. Shortly after the boat was put on the hard for winter storage and I resumed my work in remote Northern Ontario. Sailing season seemed such a long time coming as I longed for the spring so I could begin fixing up the new boat. The first order of business was a new Engine.

During the Toronto boat show I ordered a spanking brand new Beta 43. A Beta is a marinized Kubota diesel engine. The engine is a beauty and it sure looks good but sadly it was installed into a disaster of a boat. Turns out the Marine surveyor that I hoped to provide me with an assessment of the boat either was completely incompetent to survey a steel hulled boat or he just didn’t care to do his job. It appeared the only thing keeping me afloat sailing to Hamilton was PAINT

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Yep, you heard right, a few layers of PAINT

The first indication of trouble for a steel hulled boat is a tell tail redish looking stain to the exterior paint. When the paint is sanded down it reveals the extent of the problem. Sadly it was rusted straight through in a place or two or so thin I was able to easily poke a screw driver trough . There were more than a few expletives loudly pronounced as you might imagine.

All this the surveyor failed to find. The following is page of the survey concerning hull integrity…….Notice that minor degradation of the steel is indicated……… WT#F

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 8.39.08 PM

Sadly I have spent too much on the boat not to continue, not to fix it. I am committed now. I must fix the hull before I can turn to the known deficiencies that needed addressing. Over the remaining summer I with help from my father and a professional welder, Barry, a friend of my sister, we managed to cut out the rusted parts and exterior weld new steel into place. I was once again able to call it a boat and not a reef. The worst part of the hull repair meant that much of the interior had to be removed and destroyed in the process just to get at the hull. The interior has proven, a great challenge as I am certainly no carpenter. 😛

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

It is now April 2017, it will be 2 years this August when the boat was purchased. Much had been done and much has yet to do. Unfortunately the over run cost and time of the hull repairs has prevented me from doing everything I would like to in order to prepare for my grand adventure. 

Here is the interior now………. So I am getting there… Slowly.

Many days are disheartening as the amount of work is extremely daunting. I don’t always know what to start first. In fact there are many projects on going.

Stay tuned for…..

• New plumbing fresh water and black water

• Complete electrical over haul with new Furuno electronics

• New auto helm from Furuno

• New sails from North Sails

• New running rigging

• New build of hard dodger

• New build of hard bimini

• Reconstruction of galley

• Repair of rotten deck at anchor windlass

• New Muir anchor windlass

• New hull above and bellow waterline and deck paint

I am sure there is more…. just slipped my mind….no actually too much to remember 😛

Cheers and happy sailing

Herb skipper of the S/V Mica

Author: Sailing Mica

S/V Mica is creating a community exploring our world and the amazing people in it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: